- Administers and supervises the activities and personnel of the parks maintenance and grounds staff. Duties involve instructing, assigning, reviewing, and planning work of others; acting on employee problems; processing Worker’s Compensation information; recommending new hires, transfers, promotions, demotions, and terminations; issuing corrective actions, and completing employee performance appraisals.
- Establishes maintenance plans and projects to ensure that park facilities are in proper condition, including five (5) neighborhood parks, the Forest Hills Tennis Center, the Walterboro Wildlife Sanctuary, the Walterboro Wildlife Center, the City Fountain, various green spaces, landscaped medians and landscaped interchanges on I-95 at exits 53 and 57.
- Acquires all equipment and supplies needed to complete assignments for the department.
- Oversees the development and maintenance of drainage and irrigation.
- Coordinates work with contractors, utility agencies, vendors, and engineers.
- Supervises department construction projects.
- Supervises equipment maintenance and repair operations.
- Establishes and implements a cleaning and preventative maintenance program for appropriate equipment, tools, and vehicles.
- Ensures maintenance and cleanliness of equipment repair areas, equipment storage areas, chemical and fertilizer storage areas.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable state and federal laws, OSHA, EPA, and Clemson extension rules and regulations, relating to chemical and fertilizer storage and disposal, employee safety, and general public safety.
- Administers the Walterboro Tree Protection Committee
- Responsible for all required captive animal permitting and upkeep of captive animal displays
- Bachelor’s Degree in Turf Grass Management, Horticulture or Agriculture preferred and/or an additional five years of related work experience.
- Five years of experience performing maintenance or landscaping including at least one year in supervision.
- ISA Certified Arborist preferred.
- Valid South Carolina Pesticide Applicators License, Category 1 & 3.
- CPSI (Certified Playground Safety Inspector) within 1 year of hire
- Valid South Carolina Driver’s License.
Salary range: $52,517 – 62,314 depending on qualifications plus an excellent benefits package.
How to apply: Applications are available online at www.walterborosc.org. Submit application and resume to Angela Roberson, Human Resources Specialist, City of Walterboro, 300 Hampton St., Walterboro, SC 29488, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax to 843-549-1046.