The City of Walterboro Finance Department is responsible for the many City functions involving money. These functions include: the receipt of funds such as taxes, license fees, service charges and other City revenues; payment of City expenses and employee payrolls; and investment of funds not yet needed.
The Finance Department engages in record keeping and reporting including a state-mandated audited annual financial report and monthly reports on City Operations designed to keep the City Council, City Manager, and Department Heads informed about the City's financial status. The Finance Department additionally assists the City Manager with the development and publication of the City's budget. Financial management services are provided by the Finance Department to the Water and Sewer Department. Finance provides administrative support to City departments in the process of inviting and awarding legally required bids for large City purchases.
The Finance Department is also responsible for the successful administration of various employment-related systems and programs including employee recruitment, employee development, compensation and benefits management, employee relations, and risk management. The Finance Department's activities promote the efficient and effective delivery of quality services to citizens and enhance safety within the community.
The mission of the Finance Department is to provide high quality financial services to all of its customers, both external and internal and to recruit and maintain an able and highly motivated work force and to assist the City government to operate in a financially responsible and fiscally sound manner, by:
- Providing accurate, complete and timely information regarding the City's financial condition and transactions
- Protecting City assets against unauthorized use and managing City assets for their most productive use
- Administering the City's revenue ordinances and finance-related laws, regulations and contracts in an efficient and equitable manner
- Providing administrative services to other City departments to obtain the supplies, equipment, and services they need.
- Implementing effective procedures for the timely liquidation of all properly documented City liabilities which ensures compliance with all legal requirements
- Maintaining a commitment to a high level of personal productivity and a continuous pursuit of the means for improving the Department's procedures and achieving significant personal satisfaction in the staff's professional roles
- Recruiting, orienting, and developing qualified and motivated employees dedicated to the service of the Walterboro community through its City government
- Working closely with all departments on personnel matters
- Promoting fair and equitable application of personnel guidelines
- Assisting employees with work-related problems
- Coordinating a competitive compensation and benefits management program
- Encouraging open communication, active participation, and organizational identity
- Administering a comprehensive risk management program
The Finance department is also responsible for collecting all utility bills, police fines, licenses, taxes, and state shared revenue. To ease the payment process for any of these purposes, the Finance, Utility Billing, and Judicial Departments have moved to the City Hall Annex, thus creating a one-stop payment center for all of these functions. The new building features closer parking spaces for customers as well as an "express" lane with a bank style payment tube to make the process more convenient.
The Finance Department also improved the utility bill you receive by adding historical information about your account, including a return payment envelope, and adding a special message area where the City may communicate important information regarding the City.